How Much Do these Vehicles benefit The Environment?
Currently all EV/NEV's and NGV's are extremely non-polluting being rated SULEV or better.
- SULEV (Super Ultra Low Emission Vehicle)is 12.5 times lower for hydrocarbons
- 3.4 times lower for carbon monxide, 20 times lower for NOx and 8 times lower for particulate matter
- All of the EV/NEV's and one NGV are rated ZEV (Zero Emission Vehicle)
- or PZEV (Partial Zero Emission Vehicle) which is at least 3 x lower than SULEV
- (Up to 60 times cleaner than a new car!
- Currently , we pollutin approximately 17,000 kg of air pollution through our
- commuting activities as a group. If everyone switched to one of these vehicles,
- we could reduce our overall impact 75%.
Look up the current emission standards:
Vehicle Emission Standards
An Overview of the National Low Emission Vehicle Program
- How do visualize this environmental benefit? Consider the following:
- “A PZEV driven 20 miles produces fewer harmful emissions than a conventional car
- in the driveway with its engine off”.
- “A car equipped with this engine could drive through a high-smog area and the smog-producing emissions coming out of the tailpipe would actually be lower than they are in the surrounding air”